Search engines find keywords in different elements of the page and use them to determine whether the page will be ranked in terms of these keywords. Proper use of keywords ensures that your page will be indexed for specific queries, but does not guarantee at all that your page will rank well in the results. The popularity or credibility of the site is an important point that helps with ranking.
Each page should have a good and correct set of keywords . You should not optimize one page for a large number of keywords, namely, more than 3-5 words. Also, these keywords should be associated with other words on the page.
It is necessary to focus on good content in the first place, and not to score good text with keywords to the detriment of visitors. Natural use is extremely important, because search engines see all keywords and it is not necessary that visitors see them. Content entails conversion and sales … so write good texts!
How to best use keywords for SEO
- Domain – if the domain contains a keyword – that’s fine. If not, it’s still ok.
You need to make sure that the domain is registered more than 10 years ago, and Google recognizes that this is not a spam site, but made for humans.In fact, the date of domain registration is a common seo-myth!
- Title of the main page – make sure that on the main page, in addition to the name of the company / site, there are several keywords describing your activity.
- Title / Title on other pages – each page should have its own unique title, containing keywords that the content of this page is focused on.
- Subheadings H1-H6 . This concerns html markup. There are special tags h1, h2, h3 … h6, meaning a certain importance of the selected text fragment. Search engines pay attention to this. It is important not to forget this moment when designing the page and optimizing keywords on the page. For blogs: use keywords in the post title, and avoid using h1, h2, h3 tags in the sidebar.
- Bold – highlight keywords on the page with bold text so that they get attention. But do it so that it does not annoy visitors.
- Alternative text and description in images – alt and description tags. The use of images on the pages of the site is very important and useful. But do not forget to effectively use these images by filling in the appropriate alt and description tags, including key phrases. After all, your CMS allows it?
- Internal links – if you mention other pages of your site in your texts, you should make sure that you make the correct link texts and write titles for them. For example:
< A the href = "domain.com/myotherpage.html" title = "keyword" > more keywords < / a >
Avoid such anchors as: “Next”, “Read continuation”, etc.
- The first words in the text – the first words on your page or post should contain keywords that are relevant to the page content and for which you want to promote this page.
- Top of page – search engines look at the page and analyze its contents from top to bottom. And so the top of the page is most important and should contain the most important content, and the bottom is less important. If you have a column structure of the page, make sure that the html-code is constructed so that the main text of the page is higher than the rest of the content, for example, sidebar.
- Keyword Density – How many keywords should be on a page? First of all, in the content the naturalness of using keywords is important, so you should not use more than 4-5 keywords on a page containing 250+ words.
If you put external links to your site somewhere with the right keywords, then that’s great! But this post is about using keywords within and within the site.
Any valid criticism in the comments is welcome. We all understand that the algorithms of the search engines are constantly changing, and you should not take the post as the truth at all times.
However, using these tips, you will never harm your site and seo-optimisation, on the contrary, only help. Just do not overdo it, and then you get the opposite result! Lose visitors, miss the benefits, reduce the conversion and fall in the eyes of search engines!